11.03.2014

What Happened to Thanksgiving?



Is there anyone else out there who is tired of, and disgusted by, the fact that Thanksgiving seems to have disappeared lately? 
 

I'm starting to lose my mind over the fact that Thanksgiving is now basically being swept under the rug in favor of bringing out all things to do with Christmas before Halloween is even completely done with.

The other day, while in my local Walmart, the DAY before Halloween, the Lawn and Garden area was all set up for Christmas, there were Christmas decorations outside, an entire aisle in the Seasonal section was already Christmas oriented, and in the seasonal candy aisle?  Oh, there were workers putting away the Halloween candy, and putting in Christmas candy.  THE DAY BEFORE HALLOWEEN.

I am sickened by things like this.




Why does it seem like the country, as a whole, has decided to ignore the fact that there is a Holiday (and a very important one!) in between Halloween and Christmas?

Why have we decided to ignore the Holiday that is all about being THANKFUL in favor of the Holiday that most see as a time that they receive gifts?

Yes, I do know that many people are grateful and thankful during Christmas, and that these people are also all about giving to others and helping others......but in this largely consumerism based society.......nowadays it just seems like Christmas is all about the money and the gifts that are received.

The other day, while talking with my son, he wanted to know how many days there were until his birthday (which is in November).  I told him, and then he asked me how many days there were until Christmas.  I corrected him, and told him that what he needed to know, was how many days there were until THANKSGIVING

I want my kids to love this Holiday, love that they get to spend the day with family, lots of good food, the idea of amazing leftovers, and love the fact that they are able to have this opportunity in their lives!  Be grateful that they can do these things!

I don't want my kids to focus on how far away Christmas is and what they're going to be getting for presents.

I think that Thanksgiving is a wonderful Holiday!  I can always smell a turkey roasting when I think of Thanksgiving.........I can smell the cooking potatoes, taste the cheesecake that my mom would always make when I was a kid, remember what it's like to sit around the table with everyone talking at once and all of us laughing hysterically.  I remember being so happy to be there......and being grateful that I could be there.

Please everyone, I know that not all of you are "in to" Thanksgiving, and that a lot of you want to put up your Christmas decorations already....but couldn't we please, please try to make an effort, as a country, to remember that Thanksgiving comes first?







Pin It




No comments:

Post a Comment