10.21.2013

Night Terrors Suck.


 
Plain and simple....night terrors just suck.  Big time.

Yes folks, Dude has night terrors.

He doesn't have them too often, but when he does, boy oh boy are they horrible.



Dude has always been a little bit of a hard sleeper.  He wakes up a lot earlier than Princess does, sometimes it's harder for him to fall asleep, and most nights he's tossing and turning and at least once a week he ends up in bed with me and S.

All of those things hold no candle whatsoever to the night terrors that Dude has sometimes.



The first time was absolutely horrible, for all parties involved, and honestly I had no idea what was going on! 



From Kids Health :
A night terror is a sleep disruption that seems similar to a nightmare, but with a far more dramatic presentation. Though night terrors can be alarming for parents who witness them, they're not usually cause for concern or a sign of a deeper medical issue.......A night terror is a sleep disruption that seems similar to a nightmare, but with a far more dramatic presentation. Though night terrors can be alarming for parents who witness them, they're not usually cause for concern or a sign of a deeper medical issue.....During a night terror, a child might suddenly sit upright in bed and shout out or scream in distress. The child's breathing and heartbeat might be faster, he or she might sweat, thrash around, and act upset and scared. After a few minutes, or sometimes longer, a child simply calms down and returns to sleep....


Hmm. Great.  That's really, really great.

Like I had said, Dude doesn't have them very often, but when he does, he's screaming, and thrashing, and shaking.....and then I start freaking out.

That's right, I. freak. out.

I can't handle my kid screaming the way that he does, in absolute terror.  This is probably why I am completely unable to comfort him while he's having a night terror.  Dude must be able to sense my freaking out on a subconcious level, and then he freaks out even more?  Who knows?  But I do know that S is the only one who has ever been able to calm down Dude when he's having a night terror.

This makes me feel like crap.

S has to take Dude outside to calm him down.  I can just imagine what our neighbors are thinking when they hear the bloodcurdling screams coming from our front yard at 10 at night.......but the police have never called or shown up, so that's a plus.  The reason that S takes Dude outside?  We think that there is a connection between Dude having night terrors and when he's really hot.  Is this true?  We can't really be sure, but we did notice that Dude had them more often over the summer when it was harder to keep his room cooler.  And last night, we had a fire going in the living room fireplace to warm up the house.....So S takes Dude outside to cool down a little, the whole time talking calmly to Dude and asking him questions about what he can see so that Dude will focus on something and wake up a little bit.

obviously this is an old picture, but it's the same thing that happens now when S is getting Dude to calm down......


But winter is coming.  So last night, S sat with Dude on the couch while I sat there stressing out because I had just seen my son staring at his open closet and screaming like something was coming out of it.

For the longest time, I was afraid that Dudes night terrors had something to do with this Situation, but of course there is now way to know what makes Dude have these night terrors.  He doesn't even remember them after S finally gets him to wake up, nevermind being able to remember them in the morning.

I know that there is really no way to stop the night terrors, but I will be looking into it more! 

Maybe then I can stop freaking out when it happens and we can find some ways to stop them.....?


obviously if you want your kids night terrors to stop, you shouldn't take advantage of these kinds of photo ops.....
 

Pin It

7 comments:

  1. I feel for you. My daughter who is now 11, would have those episodes every now and then. She never truly slept well, often had nightmares, often ended up in our bed or calling me multiple times a night. It was exhausting, but the worst nights were the nights she would wake up screaming and looking right through us. We handled them much the same way you guys do and she never remembered them the next day. I did start discussing her nightmares with her during the daylight hours when they wouldn't seem so scary.

    You'll be relieved to hear she grew out of them. They just stopped all of a sudden, although her nightmares continued (though less often). My husband got her into super heroes and she recently admitted that she often turns into one herself in her dreams when they're headed in a scary direction. ;-)

    Hang in there! He'll be fine! You might look like that zombie in the pic for a couple more years, but he'll be fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are scary. My stepson use to have them. He'd cry and toss and turn, but then settle down. His lasted a few months. It will pass. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh so sorry you have to watch your kiddo so scared. Hope they resolve themselves soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww poor little guy!
    I have a giveaway going on, would love for you to check it out, today’s the last day to enter! http://thediaryofarealhousewife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! There was a time where I thought one of my twins had night terrors. He was about 7 mo and he would wake up screaming his little head off, but it was like when we picked him up, he wasn't even awake. I don't know. He did that for awhile, but then they just stopped. I found you via the fun fridays link up and am following!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor little guy! We've had a couple of those around here too. Although not many. And, that picture of him asleep on your husband's shoulder is so precious. Thanks for the swap btw. :)

    ReplyDelete