4.30.2013

Kids Reading Material # 1


Sooooo, in case you haven't read my blog at all, I'm about to tell you something really important about me.  I am absolutely crazy, madly, deeply in love with books.  And that statement doesn't even come close to how I feel about books.

Now that I'm a mom, I'm crazy, madly, deeply in love with kids books.  I buy kids books more than I buy books for myself.  At the library, I can never say "no, no more books" to Dude, and I always end up carrying a 20 pound bag of kids books home.

I love everything about kids books.  My inner artist is in love with, and finds inspiration in the illustrations.  The themes, the morals, the silliness....love it all.

I love that the kiddos are constantly pulling books off their shelves and crawling into our laps, I love that they will sit and page through their books, I love that I was able to pass on so many of my own kid books to my own kiddos.  Let's face it, it's hard to find the really good, classic Golden Books these days.

Because of all of these things, I'll be starting a Kids Reading Material Series also.  I started an "adult" reading material series that you should definitely check out, and there will be a new one shortly!


The first book I want to talk about, this book that I absolutely totally fell in love with, that Dude loves, and everything about this book is cute?

When Dinosaurs Came with Everything
by: Elise Broach and illustrated by: David Small

I found this book just thumbing through the shelves at our local library.....that was about a month ago.  We keep taking it out!  It's about a boy who is running errands with his mom for the day, and you guessed it: dinosaurs come with everything.  The mom gets frustrated, the boy gets more and more excited and ends up wanting to run more errands.  The mom gets everyone home and has to lie down because of her headache! 

Some illustrations?  (Sorry about the poor quality!  I'll get if figured out for future posts!)



 
 
 Needless to say, this kid was excited!
 
 
 

Then, keeping with the dinosaur theme? 
There's this book that we've actually had for a long time:

Dinosaur Roar
by: Paul and Henrietta Strickland

We bought if for the Dude when he was pretty young and we found that it really helped with his vocabulary because this book illustrates so many different things and their opposites.  "Fast & slow", "grumpy & sweet","short & long" to just name a few.  Now Princess loves the book too, it's an all around fun book that you can get your kiddos to interact with.  We would have Dude trace the "very, very long" dinosaur, and of course he loves the end, because I always pretend that I'm gbbling him up, like the dinosaurs are gobbling up their lunch. 

Yes, the cover has been abused a little LOL


 
 
 
 
 
So that's it for now, for my first kiddos reading material post, I hope you all liked it!  And that you check these books out if you haven't already!  I know what it's like to have a dinosaur lover in the house, and that you pretty much scour all libraries and bookstores for dinosaur books! 
 
Check back soon for a Mothers Day Kids Reading Material!
 


Pin It


17 comments:

  1. I feel like I've seen the second Dinosaur book...ah, I have! I've seen it on a Nick Jr. commercial where the parent reads to the child, lol. Cool. :)

    We're huge book fans over this a'way too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen that commercial, that's so funny :)

      Delete
  2. Hello. This is my first time stopping by via the #TALU. I'm with you when it comes to books. As a kid, I even converted my bedroom closet into a library/reading room. It had shelves all the way up one side that I used to store my books and as a ladder leading up to the top shelf where I would hang out and read. Most of my clothes were in my dresser or shoved over to one side of the closet below, so there was a chair and table "downstairs" for my best friend LOL. Sadly, with all the Kindles, etc. nowadays, it seems that books are going by way of the dinosaur (pun intended). :( [#TALU]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally love your "pun intended" LOL I have an ereader and hardly ever use it because it's just not the same! That's so awesome about your bedroom closet! You mean you haven't done the same thing as an adult? Because you should!!

      Delete
  3. Awww my son is a little past that stage now, but I had how there was such a small collection of dinosaur books when we to the library. So we bought A LOT of them! Have ya'll read the "How Do Dinosaurs" books? The first one that comes to mind was "How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight." I didn't care much for the story but the illustrations were excellent and each page had the dinosaurs name sort of hidden. It was game to find it and then pronounce the name. We still have those books ;-) TALU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the "How Do Dinosaurs" series! We gave "How Do Dinosaurs Say I love You" to the kiddos for Christmas :)

      Delete
  4. I am right there with you! So glad I found your blog, following you from the hop :)

    http://thebees3.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that you are going to do regular kids reading material posts. What a great idea! I am a preschool teacher, so I will definitely be checking these out for some fresh ideas. Can't go wrong with dinosaurs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be posting one soon for books for Mother's Day!! Make sure to check it out :)

      Delete
  6. What fun books! Reading really is so important! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS so important! We're always reading aorund here :)

      Delete
  7. I really can't get enough of buying kid's clothing for my little nieces and nephews. There should be a support group for mothers who have an obsession with buying baby clothes, nursery trinkets, and anything baby related I can get my hands on. My son and daughter are all grown now so I find myself buying cute little things for my nieces and nephews. My niece Grace is turning 4 next month and is starting to read. SO CUTE! So I got her a customization kid's book that features her name and pictures of her. I will simple adore reader to her, her story as a princess. Can't wait! I got the inspiration from http://www.cutekidcreations.com/
    Here's the link to the website where I got my customization story book. http://www.cutekidcreations.com/products/my-adventures-with-disney-princess-collection-2-photo-story-book?taxon_id=60
    Thanks again for thoughtfully blogging! Besos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the link! I would love to do that for the kiddos :) And there SHOULD be a support group LOL!

      Delete
  8. Well, you know I love this post;). Thanks for linking up at the Owl's Skull today! J

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what a joy it is to see this post. My own little boy is a voracious reader. He inherited it from me! As you said. love is not a strong enough word to explain how we feel about reading and books. I actually have begun turning some of the stories I created for him into books. It is so much fun and has inspired a love of reading and books in other children. My boy is now ten years old and past the dinosaur stage-yeah right! Just now he wants to dig for real ones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a party last week on Friday Flash Blog! Thanks for joining us. I hope you’ve visited some of the other community members and you're having a splendid week.

    Jennifer
    thejennyevolution.com

    ReplyDelete