4.04.2013

A Strange Supper Menu



Yes, I am from the North and I say "Supper" instead of "Dinner."  That's completely besides the point.

If you've read my blog before, you know that I work 2 to 4 nights a week waitressing at a local restaurant.  Yes, I love it and I love the income it brings in for our family. 

Where are the kiddos while I'm at work?  They stay home with their Daddy of course.  S is awesome with this arrangement, he honestly is.  When we first started talking about me going back to work, I reminded him that it would mean that he would be coming home from work and taking care of the kiddos by himself (I leave for work as soon as he gets home from his job), and he was completely fine with this of course.  S loves those kiddos so much and it's truly amazing to see how awesome of a father he is to them. 

 
 
By the time that I come home from work, S has played with the kiddos, made them supper, and put them to bed....and even managed to do some housework.  Seriously.  That's how awesome he is.  As soon as I get home our conversations are along the lines of "How was your night?"  "How were the kiddos?"  "Did they go to bed OK?"  "What did they have for supper?"  These questions are not to interrogate S or because I don't think he can handle taking care of our babies, but because I always, no fail, feel like a complete asshole not being home with my kiddos at night and at bedtime, so I want to know how their night was along with S.s.
 
Most nights these questions have answers like: "They were really good, but Dude didn't want to pick up his toys."  or "I made them hamburgers."  or "Princess was a little cranky around bedtime, I think she's not feeling that great."  Perfectly normal answers.
 
About a week ago, this was the answer I got when I asked what they had for supper:  "I made them peanut butter and fluff sandwiches and then, because I know you want them to eat vegetables every night, I looked in the freezer and the fridge but I couldn't find any.  What's up with that?  So I gave them some pickles, and then we had oranges too."
 
Um.  What?!?!
 
My instant reaction was to throw up.
 
Peanut butter and fluff sandwiches I have no problem with whatsoever, even though I know that S puts WAY more fluff on that I would like him too.  But pickles?  For their vegetable?  SO not the same thing!  Do pickles even count as a vegetable?  Not in my book honey.  I reminded S that we have a million cans of veggies in our pantry.  He looked sheepish and admitted that he hadn't thought to look there because we usually never have canned veggies with supper (I always try to make fresh).  And let's talk about how lately Dude doesn't even eat pickles.....he picks them off his sandwiches.  But then he eats them for S?  Weird.  Then about the oranges.  S said he wanted to make sure that the kiddos had a fruit too, because that's what I always do.
 
I was laughing at this point at this man that I love with all my heart. 
 
I pointed out to him, that all of those things combined would give anyone a very sour stomach....and Princess has nasty enough diapers as it is!  I told him that I love him, and love that he takes care of the kiddos so good while I'm at work, and that I totally appreciated that he tried so hard to make sure the kiddos had vegetables and fruit with their supper.....but to PLEASE never feed them a meal like that again!  That if he couldn't find any vegetables to use, just give them extra fruit! 
 
Then, come to find out.....the sandwich that S made for himself?  It was a grilled peanut butter, fluff, and Nutella sandwich.  With a side of pickles and oranges.  Needless to say, he wasn't feeling all that great later that night.
 
I informed him that I had pretty much won that conversation and had made my point.
 
 
I'm vaguely afraid that these are the kinds of cooking lessons going on while I'm at work :P
 




Pin It



27 comments:

  1. Holy crap that was hilarious! At first I thought it was going to be all lovey-dovey admiration for your hubs, but then...pickles and oranges. That'd be a great blog name, huh? Anyway, I was really laughing because that's probably what I would feed the kids if my husband was gone. Yep, he does all the cooking. I will make sure he throws in a veggie and fruit, but otherwise, he does it all. Except cleaning up after. That's on me. Thanks for a great laugh. He does sound like a keeper! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL He is DEFinitely a keeper :) and "pickles and oranges" DOES sound like a wicked blog name! I seriously might use it LOL! And you know, the blog was all lovey dovey...kind of...that's just how we do "lovey dovey" around here :P Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I was at one of my moms' groups one time and mentioned that I'd covered the vegetables for dinner the night before by baking some potatoes. One of my friends goes, "Potatoes are NOT vegetables!" Several of us moms gasped and said, "YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH! In my house they are!!" Haha. This was such a cute story. I've subscribed to follow--I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Potatoes ARE vegetables!!! LOL Thanks for the follow!! I LOVE your blog!

      Delete
  3. He is definitely a keeper. He tried so hard, but it is hilarious how men think. I am visiting a little earlier for the TGIF blog hop. I followed you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow! And I will definitely let him know how lucky I am :P I love how he thinks! LOL!

      Delete
  4. LOL, I'm visiting from Thumping Thursdays and I loved your post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting! And I'm glad you liked it! It was so funny, I HAD to write about it! When I told S he said "Oh, that probably doesn't paint me in too good of a light..." I told him it actually does ;) Make sure to come back again soon!

      Delete
  5. I'm following GFC from Friend Connect Blog Hop. please return the favor and follow me back at Evoluchun's Miscellaneous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following! I'm heading over to your blog now! :)

      Delete
  6. Your newest follower from the hop, hope you will stop by and follow back!

    Krystle
    www.liferevolvesaroundthem.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your follow and thank you! I sorta kinda a little bit neglected some blog work this weekend because of dress shopping(!) but I'm definitely heading over soon! :)

      Delete
  7. What a great story. Hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I stopped by from the blog hop. I loved your post and laughed about the pickles. I don't know if they count as a veggie either.
    ps. I say Supper too!!!

    Pretty Purplexing 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we can ALL just go ahead and agree that pickles AREN'T vegetables! :D I'll make sure to tell S ;P Thanks for stopping by and I'm glad you loved it! and I love that you say "supper" too! :)

      Delete
  9. Hi! I’m new follower of your blog and would like to invite you to join me at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/04/clever-chicks-blog-hop-29-and-jewelry.html


    I hope you can make it!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the follow and for stopping by! I would love to join your blog hop and I'm going to check it out now! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my haha. At least you got a good laugh out of it : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I STILL get a good laugh about it when I look back on this blog LOL :)

      Delete
  12. That was hysterical! Just thinking about that combination makes my stomach upset. Although I (and my kids) could probably eat pickles for dinner. My kids will eat pickled anything pretty much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeahhhhh S loves everything pickled...I do NOT LOL :) This blog always makes me laugh :)

      Delete
  13. Yeah, that is quite the combination!
    It's super that your husband is so good with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Funny! Except for the fluff, it sounds like a delicious dinner to me! :-) #SITSblogging

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is hilarious! At least he tried with the oranges! :)

    Stopping by from SITS Girls.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like something my husband would do :) I love that he didn't think to look in the pantry. If it's not right in front of them, "they can't find it".

    ReplyDelete
  17. I say Dinner but my mom corrects me every time and tells me its supper. :)

    ReplyDelete